Tuesday, October 25, 2011

UVA Quilt

About a month after I finished my Mom's quilt I was itching to get started on another one. So, I decided to make one for myself. While looking for fabrics for my Mom's quilt I found some beautiful fabrics from the Joel Dewberry Heirloom Collection. They are mainly aquas and oranges and reminded me very much of my alma matter, UVA. The colors seemed close enough to my orange and blue school colors but also different enough that I didn't feel like I was decorating my house like a college dorm room. Below are a few of the fabric swatches I started with.


Once I had the fabrics picked out it was time to pick a pattern. One of the first blogs to inspire me was Goddess in Progress...Quilts and after seeing her 'Penny'quilt I knew I wanted to make a similar one. However, with winter upon us I figured I would pair my aquas and oranges with a gray instead of the white she paired her bright colors with. I think it is more fitting for the fall and will compliment the colors a little more. Below is a picture of a few completed blocks.


I obviously have a long way to go on this quilt but with the onset of cold weather I have a feeling I will have plenty of time to work on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment