Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cut, Design, Sew


This weekend I finally started to feel like the UVA quilt was coming together. After spending several hours squaring what felt like a million quilt squares I was ready to start piecing the squares together.

The million scraps left after I had trimmed each quilt square


All of the trimmed quilt squares sorted by fabric type (yes I am a little neurotic)

In order to make sure that I liked the final layout of the quilt I first arranged each square block on background fabric to get an idea of the overall flow of the final quilt. For this quilt I wanted to make sure the same patterns were never touching and that there was a balance between the more heavily blue, orange, or yellow squares. I also wanted to balance the large patterns with the small patterns and the direction of each block. I placed each square on a large piece of gray fabric which will be what the sashing is completed with to get an even better idea of the final look of the quilt.


The blocks laid out on the gray fabric….finally starting to look like a quilt J

For some reason my dog, Grace, feels the need to lay in the middle of the quilt whenever I start to lay out the quilt blocks. She did this with my mom’s quilt as well. While she is very much in the way it is very hard to get mad at such a sweet puppy just trying to give you love.


Grace hanging out on the quilt squares

I have sewn together 2 of the 8 rows of squares and I think I am loving it! Hopefully I will be able to sew the remainder together this weekend and have a completed quilt top to show you next week. Although, it always seems to take longer than I think it will….we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment