Friday, November 4, 2011

Ironing and Ironing

So I must confess that my least favorite part of quilting is the ironing. With my latest pattern I have had to iron each block 3 different times during the piecing process. When I iron my blocks I iron the seams out towards their respective sides. I do not iron the seams to one side because I believe it adds more bulk and is harder to quilt through once you begin the quilting. I know there is a lot of debate about which ironing method is best but so far I have had luck with this method and like that there is less bulk at the seams. Below are some pictures from my hours of weekend ironing.



The next step in my quilt will be to lay out the blocks and then cut gray strips for sashing. I have never attempted sashing and read some horror stories about the sewing machine pulling the fabric one way or the other so that your sashing does not look straight. I will be sure to fill you all in as I take on squaring all the blocks, laying out my quilt top, and begin the sashing this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment